Latest from the Blog
Tips for an Eco-Friendly Office: Energy Saving Light Bulbs
Energy saving light bulbs are an easy and effective way to help your office go green and become eco-friendly. Not only do they save energy and, therefore, costs, but they also have less damaging effects on the environment. There are three main types of energy saving light bulbs that you could purchase to help your office meet your sustainability goals.
Light-Emitting Diodes (LED)
LED light bulbs are the most common choice when purchasing energy saving bulbs as they can save 90% more power than conventional, incandescent light bulbs. LED is the most energy-efficient lighting source available today and the quality of the light bulbs means they are more durable and last longer than others.
LED lighting has a range of unique traits such as:
- They emit light in specific directions, lowering the need for light diffusers and reflectors.
- They are suitable for all types of environments, and are becoming more common in streetlights and parking garages.
- They are long-lasting.
- They instantly turn on to full brightness once you flick the light switch, meaning you do not need to wait for them to warm up.
Compact Fluorescent Lamps (CFLs)
CFL lighting is the second most energy efficient, saving around 60-80% more energy than incandescent light bulbs. CFLs use an electric current to excite gases which then produce a phosphorous coating on the inside of the bulb to create light.
CFLs also have a number of beneficial traits such as:
- They are long-lasting, estimated to last as long as 10,000 hours which equates to ten years of use.
- They’re inexpensive.
- They produce soft light similar to incandescent light bulbs but save more energy.
Finally, we have halogen light bulbs which consume around 20-30% less energy than traditional lighting. Halogen light bulbs are not as efficient as LED or CFL, but they do still provide a range of benefits such as:
- They light up as soon as the switch has been flicked.They are most like incandescent light bulbs.
- They are the cheapest energy saving lightbulb.
- They can have a range of settings and also be dimmed using a dimmer switch.
Which Will You Choose?
So, now that you know some of the benefits of LED, CFL and Halogen light bulbs, which will you be purchasing? Is it LED, that save the most energy? CFL, that are very long lasting? Or perhaps it’s Halogens, the cheapest of the bunch?
Whatever you decide, remember you are doing it to help the environment and save energy along the way, taking you one step closer to a greener future.
Global Office Supplies specialise in cutting down costs on the products that your office consumes on a daily basis. Our selection of award-winning services provide the green office solution you have been looking for all under one roof, saving time, money and the environment.
What’s more, we can deliver green office supplies directly to your office with our free same day delivery service.